Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gary Gordon Memorial Championship

Yesterday I attended the Gary Gordon Memorial Championship at Macdill Air force base.  Wow.  What an experience.  Everyone there is friendly, competitors HELP each other, throw ideas and tips around.  It's just one big melting pot of like minded people. There were people there from all age groups.  I saw a 9 year old boy pull 245 off the floor! I believe he was weighed in around 96lbs... that is absolutely insane! I have friends that can't pull close to that!  There were also a few older people there, around 70 I believe, and they were doing incredible as well! That is what its all about.  Functional strength throughout your life.  Most men and women that are 60+ are very sedentary and "achy", but not these folks.  About twenty minutes in I was itching to compete. I firmly believe that I have "the fever", and the only cure is diving deeper into this sport; training, learning, teaching.   It was an incredible experience even if it was just spectating.  I will be competing in early 2012, I'm just waiting for the 2012 schedule to be posted on R.A.W United's website.  I would like to give a special thanks to Rolando Manso for informing me about this event and moreover being a mentor to me in this sport and lifestyle of fitness; I am beyond grateful for the knowledge that he has given me and will continue to learn everything I can. Another thanks goes out to Spero for letting me attend this meet and for being a machine! Lifting AND running the meet is very commendable.  Visit their sites! Rolando's blog: http://www.fitmid-life.com/  and R.A.W United's site: http://www.rawunited.org/

And here is this monster 245 LB Deadlift from a 9 yr old! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ryan! I'm glad you enjoyed the meet and I hope to be at your first meet. I know you are passionate about strength training and I am glad I could help you on your journey. Don't forget to keep writing as well.

    Stay strong.

    Rolando

    ReplyDelete